Immigration to Canada

While it depends on the kind of application that you want to make, in order to make an application before a Canadian immigration office you should generally possess the following documents:

  • Birth certificates for you and the family members who are immigrating with you.

  • Adoption papers (if applicable).

  • Marriage certificates, separation and divorce papers to ensure that you and your spouse are legally married and that if either one of you was involved in a previous marriage that it was terminated.

  • Diplomas, degrees, certificates and trade papers that show you are qualified to work in your chosen field. These are required for Skilled Worker applications and may support other types of cases as well.

  • Certified immunization records- This is only required for children under 16 so that they can attend school in Canada.

  • Valid driver’s license. This is not mandatory but if you do have a license that was issued in your home country, it will be valid in Canada for up to six months.

  • Reference letters from previous employers. This is a requirement for Skilled Worker applications and other applications where work experience is a factor.

  • Police Clearance Certificates, or as they are sometimes called, certificates of non-criminal activity, are necessary. They are to be obtained from each country that you have resided in for more than six months continually since reaching the age of 18. All applicants for Canadian immigration are subjected to a criminal record check, to ensure that they are not inadmissible to Canada on this basis.

  • Record of Landing/Confirmation of Permanent Residence if it has been issued to you.

  • Current passport.

  • Photocopies of both sides of two pieces of personal identification. It’s not necessary that both pieces of ID have your photo on it, but ensure that one does.

  • You will need to include two photographs of yourself that meet the citizenship/immigration requirements.

  • Proof of payment for the entire process. This does not count any costs you may have incurred coming to Canada, legal fees or anything that does not relate directly to your sponsorship or citizenship application.

  • Original translations and affidavits confirmed by a translator are required if any documents you submit are not in Canada’s two official languages, English and French.

Get a Study Permit — Get the right documents

You need these documents to apply for a study permit:

  • proof of acceptance

  • proof of identity

  • proof of financial support

Depending on your case you may also need:

  • letter of explanation

  • Custodian declaration (minors only)

  • other documents

Proof of acceptance

Your school must send you an acceptance letter. Include the original letter with your study permit application.

If you need to take some courses before you are accepted into your program (conditional acceptance), we will only issue your study permit for the length of those courses. Once you are accepted into the main program, you will need to apply to extend your stay as a student.

Proof of identity

You and each family member who comes with you to Canada must have:

  • a valid passport or travel document. It must allow you to return to the country that issued it. Citizens of the United States have some options on the identification documents they can carry.

  • two recent passport-size photos. The name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo.

Proof of financial support

You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.

You can prove your funds with:

  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada

  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution

  • proof of a student/education loan from a bank

  • your bank statements for the past four months

  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars

  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees

  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or

  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.



I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. Let your users get to know you.

Application to work in Canada — work permits including open work permits

Canada Work Permit

A work permit to work in Canada is issued to a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (for a specified job and length of time). It is required whether or not the employer is in Canada. To apply for a work permit at a visa office, you must be legally admitted to or a citizen of a country that is served by this visa office. 


  • A work permit does not let you live in Canada permanently. To do so, you must qualify under an immigration category as a permanent resident.

  • Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you, and, if they wish, apply for a study or work permit.

How to Get a Work Visa for Canada
  • In most cases, you will need a written job offer or contract of employment from your employer in Canada before you apply for a work permit. 

  • Your employer may need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire you. This is a document from the Government of Canada that gives your employer permission to hire a foreign worker.

  • You will also need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements of the job offer.

  • If you are applying for an open work permit, you do not need to provide a written job offer with your application.

Documentation & Language

Submitted documents must be in English, French and Spanish. Documents in other languages must be accompanied by a certified translation. Failure to submit all required documentation may result in the refusal of your application or processing delays. False statements or submission of fraudulent documents will result in immediate refusal and potentially legal action. 

If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children wishes to accompany you in Canada, they need to apply for their own Work permit, Study Permit or Temporary Resident Visa.

Required documentation:

  • Application form Application for Work Permit made Outside of Canada

  • Family Information Form (IMM 5645)

  • Two (2) passport photographs

  • Processing fee in the acceptable format.

  • Valid passport - there must be one completely blank page available other than the last page. Visa validity will coincide with the work permit validity or passport validity whichever is shorter as the visa cannot be valid beyond the passport validity.

  • Proof of financial support to cover the expenses for the duration of your visit.

  • with our experienced personnel your chance to get work visa considerably more.